Have you been following the "12 Days of Christmas" series in Prima blog? Here's two decorations I did for the 4th Day (link) when the topic was Iron Orchid Design! In the series there's always an ornament, a card and a tag so there's more inspiration in the original post.
I went romantic with these decorations! I used the Paintables as the base and cut off the sweet bird houses from the “Secret Garden” set. Then I used the Oil Pastels to color the images lightly. You just need to add a touch of color in there and the picture looks really good!
On top I then added the awesome Iron Orchid Design metal embellishments and lightened them up with some White Gesso. To get the decorations even a bit romantic I added some blooms and lace as embellishments. If you wish to see how I made these, please scroll to the bottom of the post as I have a step by step there!
Thank you for stopping by today!
814175 – Paintables Secret Garden
583545 – Metals for Wood Plaque 8
583569 – Metals for Wood Plaque 10
583552 – Metals for Wood Plaque 9
961734 – Heavy Gesso White
961428 – Soft Matte Gel
814328 – Oil Pastels
961602 – Glitter Set Ebony and Ivory
583347 – Royal Menagerie Caroline
PE – Cream Pink Mulberry Roses
582326 – Royal Menagerie SIIC
583026 – Lace Trim Plumeria
576943 – Sage Jute Trim
962760 – Brush Set
IOD decorations step by step:
1) Start by coloring the Paintables image with Oil Pastels. Use the Brush Set or a water brush for blending.
2) Cut the images out. Psst: You don't have to be too precise.
3) Adhere the houses to stencil packaging (or other stiff cardstock) with Soft Matte Gel. Add ribbon and jute trim between the two paper layers as shown.
4) Cut the house outlines out - be careful not to cut the ribbon, nor Jute Trim! Then adhere the metal embellishments in place using 3D Gel.
5) Soften the look of the metal embellishments with White Gesso. Use a "dry brush" technique for shabby-chic results. Just dip your brush in gesso and wipe most off on a piece of paper.
6) Finish the decorations with a piece from the Lace Trim, some flowers and Royal Menagerie crystals. To get a softer look add some Jute Trim and thread in the mix as well.