12/04/2024

...out of these my heart's own song I'll make - a mixed media canvas


Hello hello, it's Friday again! Today I'm sharing a textured canvas piece with you with a process video. 

I've been telling you how each year, when the spring comes, I start to have an urge for yellow. That was the case this year, too, but this time it lasted a shorter while than usual only to be replaced by a craving for green! I feel like I've been using more green during this spring that before! So, when thinking about what color to use for this piece, it ended up being green. 

What the green then caused, was to provoke the story. I went for this brown green tone and it started to look like mossy forest floor. Then the heart and the combo of the flowers and color started suddenly make sense and I named the piece "Out of these my heart's own song I'll make". That's a line from Eino Leino's, a Finnish poet's very known poem called "Nocturne". I can recite the first part of the poem by heart in Finnish. The poem talks about Finnish nature and how the speaker connects to it. He's stating items like "darkness of the woods", "scent of linnea borealis", and "shadows of the waters" to make his heart's song. 

If you want to see, how I made my own heart's song, please see the process video below.


As you could see from the video, I first left the heart "open" and didn't include anything inside. But in the end it looked too bare and like something was missing. I tried different things in it, but everything looked strange. Until I tried a gear; it looked OK, but even better when I broke a piece out of it. I assume it's the way the arch echoes the shape of the heart and also how there's more tension now that the circle is broken that made it work. What do you think? 

Thank you for stopping by today! Wishing you a pleasant weekend! Oh, and I hope to see you tomorrow on the YouTube live! Ta ta for now! 


Materials:

Ranger - Distress Collage medium Matte
Prima Marketing - Art Basics Modeling paste
PaperArtsy - Fresco Finish acrylic paint Sand, Butter, Chalk, Magic Moss, Little Black Dress
A.B.Studio - ID-285 stencil
Prima Marketing - Finnabair stencil Gothic
Prima Marketing - Art Basics Heavy Body Gel
PaperArtsy - Infusions colored stains Olive Tree, Just Walnut
Prima Marketing - Art Alchemy fluid acrylic paint Avocado Green
wooden base
Finnabair Mechanicals metal embellishments
moulded elements using Finnabair silicone moulds
old spoon
old crocheted doily
old buttons, washers and other nick knacks
linen thread
white pearls
craft glue
palette knife, brush, scissors, water mister







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...