24/05/2022

The makings of men - PaperArtsy


Hi there and wonderful Tuesday! Today I'm sharing a project I made for PaperArtsy's blog with the theme "Specimen Jar" (link). If you haven't seen the other posts with the same theme, there's seven in total, you really should take a peek! Here's the link to PaperArtsy's blog (link)

Like I wrote in the blog post: "When I first read the brief about the topic, my thoughts went to cabinets of curiosity, but then my train of thought took a strange turn to Dali. An image of "The Burning Giraffe" popped in my head with the bizarre human-styled creatures with boxes. I thought that maybe stacking matchboxes on top of each other and adding some details might be interesting and a different kind of approach to the subject, and then got excited about the idea. Like persons are vessels of their experiences and memories or their secrets and desires." 

I'm not totally sure where the idea of the "box people" in Dali's painting came from. It would be fun to know, right? But that's how my train of thought went - from cabinets to people with boxes. I hope that my take on the "box people" ended up being less frightening than Dali's version! 


To tell you the truth, I first thought another set of stamps for these but were asked if I could work with these instead. And I love the way they turned out! The only thing that got me a bit worried in the construction was the thin necks the characters had. I was fearing that their heads would stay up. But when I took a look at the set and realized that it had balloons and party hats (a roof of a building turned into a party hat) I was seeing circus! And that solved my head issue as I then could make big ruffles to support the thin necks! 

If you want to see more photos and especially a step by step instruction to these, please head over to the PaperArtsy blog (link). There you can see what I used to pattern the gel prints I then turned into clothes for these circus people.

Thank you for stopping by today! Wishing you a lovely Tuesday! Stay safe everyone! 


Materials: PaperArtsy, GelliArts, Sinelli, Ranger












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...