21/04/2021

Fire - Seth Apter Creative Team

Moikka! It's second part of this month's series for Seth Apter Creative Team. This time I started already on Tuesday as I have four posts instead of the usual three. Let me tell you why there's four in a bit, but first you can find Seth Apter's site here (link) and more about the Creative team here (link). I've included a list of products to the end of the post with links to Seth's own store.

So, why there's four posts this time instead of the regular three, is because of the subject I was inspired by this time. Not so long ago Seth came out with some wonderful texture pastes. There's four of them - Crackled, Flakey, Beads and Sandy. Can you see where this is heading? I used each paste to create a piece, so there needed to be four. I also wanted the pieces to have a common nominator, something to tie everything together. I could have chose anything, but the number four made me think about elements - earth, fire, air and water - and thus the theme was chosen. I then paired each paste to an element and created a piece with a process video. 

I'm working with the pastes in these pieces for the first time. I did a quick little swatch from each of them to see what they looked like for my pairing process for each element, but otherwise I just jumped head first to the pool and thought to see what I can make the pastes do. I also mixed in some recent newbies to the Izink product like, the Izink Pearly and Diamond.


I started the series yesterday with earth. I wanted that to be a mat project with earthy, dull colors. But fire, which I'm showing today, was a different story. That needed to have sparkle and shine. Kind of reflecting the idea of the shine of a bonfire or the rapid change of colors in a flame. So, for this project I also used the new Izink Diamond and Pearly. 

I paired fire with Flakey. Like I say in the video, the fire was the last one to be paired, but I really liked the combination. The texture makes me think about ash and charcoal, what's left after the fire. But you could see the little flakes also as sparks or little flames. 

Fire needed to be a hot red, but have some contrast, too. That's why I added some black into the canvas, also as a hint to that charcoal or burning embers. Where as I used just Izink Pigment ink to color the paste in the first video, here I used Izink dye spray and alcohol ink, too. Both colorants worked OK for this project as I wasn't that worried with the consistency of the paste in this case. This is because the flakes seemed solid enough to handle some extra moisture in the paste. 


I started this project, as you can see from the video, painting again a solid background. Then I added some contrast on top and started making the flames using colored Flakey paste. As finishing touches I added some Mica flakes to the piece trying to emphasize the flakey texture in the piece. What the Mica flakes also bring to the piece is shine. So, there's also the little glitter pieces from Diamond paste, but also the bigger shiny flakes, like little sparks flying up from a bonfire. 

What you can see from the video, but which I don't mention especially, is the movement I tried to create for the piece. All of the mediums I'm applying and some of the markings in the background all head up. I used vertical strokes to apply the pastes, for example, to highlight the idea of soaring flames. 

Thank you for stopping by today! Please be back tomorrow for another part of the series! 


Materials from Seth's store:



Materials: Aladine, PaperArtsy, WOW! Embossing Powder, StencilGirl, Prima Marketing, Ranger




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...