06/08/2020

The quieter you become - Art Daily Cafe


Moikka! Today I'm sharing my take on Art Daily Cafe's theme of the month. As I’m also responsible for this month’s theme, I felt it was quite appropriate I should share my take early on. As you might have seen from the theme post (link), the August theme is harvest, color is golden yellow and technique is image transfer. 

Like I wrote in the theme post (link), to me August marks the subtle change in seasons and most visible it is first through the change of color in the light. I also talked about harvest, apples and wheat, so that’s where I started this page. 


One of my favorite ways to break a blank page is to collage on top. Usually at that stage I’m not thinking far ahead, it’s just adding something to the page to have a start on things. I tend to use Soft Matte Gel in my collaging and usually cover the whole area with it even if I layer the page or spread partially. This is to have the same coat, same feel throughout the page. So, whatever I’m then starting to layer on top, the mediums will act the same in all places of the page. 

To have that golden hue to this page I used several mediums. The “Lemon Peel” Impasto paint was too cold on its own, but when I mixed some metallic “Ancient Coin” to it, it turned into this honey styled color I was after. I also added some warm yellow oil pastel in there to keep the colors warm and golden. 


Even though I refer to subtle change and the gel medium image transfer in the theme post, that’s a technique I seldom use. I’m more of a “Speedy Gonzales” when it comes especially to art journaling and such a slow phased technique is usually a bit too much for me in journaling. So, instead I used my favorite transfer technique – tape transfer. That technique is fast and effective and you can continue journaling almost in an instant. 

I felt that the sentiment pair from the Art Daily sticker book, “The quieter you become, the more you can hear”, fitted this page perfectly. There’s something calm and serene about August nights. The birds start slowly head to their winter homes, the hustle and bustle of summer is winding down and you can just enjoy the setting sun. Especially in the countryside you can hear so much when you calm yourself down and listen. And I’m not meaning just the nature around, but also something within you. 

If you want to see how this spread was made, I recorded a video this time. Please see it above. Thank you for stopping by today! I can’t wait to see how you interpret the theme. All the best, stay safe!


Materials: Prima Marketing, Posca, Paper Garden, Ranger






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...