Hi there! Prima is having a 30 day watercolor challenge! Have you noticed it already and perhaps even joined in? Today’s prompt or theme is “favorite flower” so I turned some rose patterned Paintables into a flowery page. It comes with a tutorial so please keep on reading!
Underneath you can see the whole watercolor challenge - some fun prompts still coming like "Song lyrics" or "Inspiring Quote"! Remember, you can use any Prima watercolor product in your creation and there's plenty to choose from. You can find the complete list of products here (link) at Prima blog along with some sneaks of the new release.
While making the layout I was influenced by the fab show Yasmin held last Monday in Artists Live. If you were unable to attend, here's a link to watch the recording of the show (link). She has such a way with the ribbon and twine so the additional seam binding underneath the photo came to my mind from the show.
The page is about my two roses, my two daughters. The photo is taken a few years ago in spring when we visited local zoo. I have actually used the same photo earlier, too, in a page about Dio (link). Talking about roses, underneath is a journal page I did one night while watching a movie with my hubby. I just stamped one of the Bloom girls (link) to the journal and then used water brushes and watercolors to add the colors to her. Great stress reliever!
Ok, let's get started with the tutorial part, then! As you can see from the tutorial, there's not that many materials in there, but still you end up with a layered, clustered look.
1) Start by choosing some sheets for the Paintables sets with similar flowers of designs. Color the patternes using watercolors and the detail water brush.
2) Add some finer details using the watercolor pencils. Add shadowing and details to the flowers and leaves. Let the design guide you and use darker colors to the places that are already colored darker.
3) Cut the flowers and colored leaves from the sheets. Use a craft knife for the insides. Don’t throw the extra pieces away!
4) Cut the extra pieces you were left with in previous step to rectangles and layer them to your background. Then add a thin coat of white gesso on top.
5) Paint the background using watercolors. Mix the colors and add those great metallic from the “Decadent Pies” set. Use the bigger, flat water brush set.
6) After drying start to build the layers. Attach the frame on top of your photo and use foam dots to adhere the frame and the flowers to the page. Make a cluster from the items.
7) If you don’t have enough flowers, cut some from the “Juste Toi, Moi et le Bleu Profond de la Mer” 12x12 sheet. As they are neutral they will fit to any color scheme you have used so far.
8) Add some details to the page – like “dew drops” to the flowers using the Salvage District crystals and a piece of seam binding colored with watercolors.
9) Finish your layout with the journaling – use a pencil to draw some guide lines for your text. They also work as a design element.
Thank you for joining me today and visiting my blog! Hope I have inspired you to join to the watercolor challenge! Wishing you a lovely Wednesday!
990824 – Tales of You and Me Belles Melodies d’Amour
990794 – French Riviera Juste Toi, Moi et le Bleu Profond de la Mer
814274 – Paintables Nostalgic Reflections
814250 – Paintables Belle Fleur
584788 – Salvage District SIIC
584276 – Watercolor Set Decadent Pies
584269 – Watercolor Set Tropicals
576691 – Watercolor Pencils Scenic Route
576714 – Watercolor Pencils The Basics
961442 – Heavy Gesso White
963880 – Silicone Brush 2”
585891 – Water Brush Set
580421 – Water Brush set
890964 – Craft Knife
Materials: Prima Marketing, We R Memory Keepers