Inspired by Jean-Paul Gaultier

It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! Every month wonderful Marsha  and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link), a painting (link)  or a music style (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month.

This time our topic to inspired by was fashion designer Jean-Paul Gaultier. As you can imagine, there was abundance of inspiration available! Here's link to Wikipedia and the official site.

Marsha visited a JPG exhibition and shared the photos with me. On top of that I also grabbed a JPG book from my book shelf. I own a collection of fashion books and JPG was one of the designers to inspire me while studying. Click here to see what Marsha created for this challenge!

I started this challenge by looking through my book about JPG. As he is a fashion designer I quickly decided that I wanted to do something clothing like. I used to own a mannequin but since I had sold it, I decided to go with an accessory because that would be easier to make. In the end I thought to go with a hair piece and started gathering ideas. 

In the book there was quite a good selection of different hats and hair pieces, but I also looked at the dresses for inspiration. I was inspired by the use of volume and embellishments and layers in the creations so I wanted to include them in my own work, too. I also found tulle, flowers and dark colors inspiring. There was also a variety of pieces of clothing made using feathers.

So the first thing I did for this piece was the feathers. I chose a few different scrapbookin papers and cut them in half. I clued the shafts in place, sandwitched between the paper layers, and when the glue had dried, I trimmed the paper pieces to resemble feathers. After that I bended the feathers more dimentional. I made one to resemble a phesant feather and the others more "basic" feather like. I colored them all with Glimmer Mists.

Now I had a bunch of feathers but then I needed to think how to incorporate them to the head piece. First I made a base using a piece of paper. I cut a rough circle shape and manipulated and bended the paper so that it became slightly domed. I also adhered a piece of felt underneath the base to which I had sewn little loops for hair pins.

Then I added a few of the feathers to the base. First ones I adhered flat and next ones more 3D with a rolled paper underneath to give them support. Then I added the tulle. The tulle as well as all the flowers are colored with the same mists I used to color the feathers. I used both tulle and weiling in my piece. After adding the fabrics, I started adding the flowers making up the design as I went along. Lastly I added some metal pieces into the mix. 

I had so much fun creating this piece. The feathers were great to make and it was fun to do really big ones - a normal scrapbooking page might not be able to handle a 12" feather, but this kind of off the page project carries them well. It was also fun to go crazy with the flowers and layer them even partly on top of each other.

Now that you have seen my piece, hurry to Marsha's blog and see what she has created for this challenge!

Materials: Tattered Angels, ColorConspiracy, Zeus and Zoe, Prima Marketing, Scrapperin


Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...