16/07/2021

Bee Nice to Mother Earth - Nathalie's Creative Squad

 

Heippa! Today I'm sharing my project for Nathalie's Creative Squad using this month’s theme of “Dear Mother Earth”. Kim mentioned in her theme email the art type mail art. I jumped to this idea and decided to do a set of decorated envelopes to be sent out.

Mail art is an art movement with the idea of sending small works of art through postal services. The movement started in the 1950s and 60s. Mail art can take various forms such as postcards, envelopes or parcels. Some artists concentrate more on the envelope than the piece inside. Artists also can create their own postal stamps, called artistamps. From Tate’s Art Term site (link) and Wikipedia (link).

As I plan to send the envelopes out, I needed to create flat layers. I’m usually drawn to dimensional pieces and assemblages, but that kind of work wouldn’t hold through the mailing process without the protection of a parcel. According to the Wikipedia article mail art becomes mail art only after it is dispatched. Even though I actually am looking forward of seeing how the envelopes change in the mailing process, what kind of wear and tear they get, totally loosing the added elements isn’t the thing. So, I made small, flat collages to the envelopes with the help of last month’s goodie – Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film.


I first added a paint layer to the envelopes, masking off the placement of the address. I also made a separate collage sheet which I die cut to bees. I also die cut some leafy stems and a piece looking like dry wall tape. I collaged a piece of book paper underneath the die cut elements and added some stamping in there, too. If you wish to see how the envelopes came into being, please see the video underneath.


When thinking about the theme of Mother Earth, I had no option but to choose the “Groove Street” stamp set. I really like the pattern, but more important, the stamp was round and thus reminded me of Earth. As there’s been a lot of talk about the declining numbers of bees and insects, I felt that a honey bee would be a nice focal point in the layering. It somehow resonated with the nurturing Mother Earth theme, maybe partly because of the importance to the ecosystem as pollinator, but also through Finnish national epic, Kalevala. There a honey bee flies to the heavens to bring a drop of golden honey to mother of Lemminkäinen so she can heal her son. I recently made an assemblage piece with that theme, you can see it here (link) if you like.

Thank you for stopping by today! Have a beautiful Friday and weekend!


Materials:

ArtFoamies – Groove Street foam stamp set
Ranger – Archival Ink Sepia, Potting Soil, Sunflower
CC Hobby – Plus Color acrylic paint Yellow Ochre, Peach
PaperArtsy – Fresco Finish acrylic paint Terracotta, Cerulean, Heavy Cream, Key Lime
Gelli Arts – gel printing plate 5”x7”
Grafix – Double Tack Mounting Film
Sizzix – Thinlits Meadow leaf (661792) die, Thinlits Bee (663852) die set
Studio Light – Art by Marlene die from a Tag Journal kit
Posca PC-1M paint marker Black, White
Vintage book pages
Vintage postal stamps
Kraft paper
White paper











No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...