10/06/2015

Inspired By: Alice in Wonderland



It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! But what is Inspired by? Every month awesome Marsha and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link)an item (link)a designer (link), a painting (link) or a piece of music (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month.


As you might have guessed from the title already, this time we went with Alice. And not just any Alice but the 2010 film version of the tale with a twist, directed by Tim Burton. It seems that we have some occurring themes in our sources of inspiration as Mr. Burton has been present a few times and like Marsha messaged me the other day - there's a big bunch of familiar faces in the film as well! 

The movie is about Alice but now she's all grown up. Or at least is in the verge of growing up real fast as in the beginning of the movie she gets proposed. Before answering she falls down the rabbit hole again and starts her journey to meet all the characters from her previous trip(s) to the Wonderland. It true Burton style the movie has it's share of gloom and quirkiness but in the end everything turns out better than it was and Alice returns to answer her suitor. 

If you are not previously familiar with the film and want to read more, here's a link to the movie's IMDB site (link) and also a page in the Wikipedia (link)

Alice in Wonderland Costumes Background Pictures 

What caught my eye even the very first time I watched the film were the visual aspects and even more over the costumes. Some of the choices and details weren't to my taste or to my idea of the Wonderland but Alice's dresses were spectacular! So I decided to follow that path. 

As I wanted to know more about the costumes I checked the designer and found to my surprise that she was the same who had designed the beautiful costumes of the Snow White and the Huntsman - another movie we've drawn inspiration from (link)! And on top of that, she's also done the costumes to Dark Shadows, to the very first of our Inspired By challenges (link)! So it seems that we have quite a history already with Colleen Atwood! Looking through the movies she's designed costumes to I notice several other personal favorites so I guess it's safe to say her style intrigues me and is to my liking!

One of the dresses that really popped for me was the dress Alice wears in the court of the Red Queen - the one that's made out of curtains. The play of the patterns, the strong contrast between red and black and white and the rough edges really please my eye! It's such a great dress! So that single dress and it's colors were my main source of inspiration. 


The dress itself was a main inspiration but I also had several others. While doing this piece for my Prima guest post (link), I immediately came to think about this challenge. Until that point I had been a bit clueless what to do as the project itself. I had the inspiration, but what to do with it. But then, altering that tea cup it became clear that of course I'd do another tea cup! They are having an ongoing tea party in the film after all! 

So I need tea cups! Luckily we were just about to go to my mom's who has a plentiful of different tea cups so the first thing I asked if she had some extra - some a bit broken or some that I could then alter. I was hoping for one with a shape I had in my head but instead I got two! And when we got back home I started to play with the two trying to decide which one to use and happened to put them on top of each other... well, you can now see where it lead me!

I also included little things inspired by the whole movie or other characters into the piece. The small scissors are there because of the Mad Hatter - he's bound to use those in his work. And if my memory serves me correctly the milliners used to decorate and design costumes as well back in the day. The playing cards and a Red Queen, though not of hearts, is presenting the troops and the queen herself. I also left the other cup untouched, white and with the pink rose, because of the White Queen and the roses that are being painted in the movie.


So there it is! My project inspired by the Alice and her dress! It has the same colors as the dress and even something similar in pattern wise. But now I can't wait any longer to see what Marsha has created! So please tumble down this rabbit hole and follow a link to her blog!

Thank you so much for stopping by today! Wishing you a lovely day! 


Materials: Prima Marketing, Tattered Angels, Wow Embossing Powder, Ranger, Scrap FX

11 comments:

Marsha Valk said...

Aaaaah!!!! So cool!!! I love how we went down a similar route, similar materials even, but came out with different takes! At first I thought you made a hat, haha. But this, this would make a pretty centre piece at an Alice themed party. I love it!!!!

Unknown said...

What a cool project! This kind of art is so intimidating for me because it's always done so well and it really stretches my mind and imagination just looking at a piece like this- maybe one day I'll have the courage to try something similar myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Beautiful. I love the way her painted the bottom up black. It almost looks like a hat. I love this moving and watch it all the time in my art room when I'm working on a big painting. It gives me lots of inspiration.

Paula said...

Wow...simply fabulous!

LCSmithSAVED said...

Spectacular! What product did you paint the teacup matte black with?

LCSmithSAVED said...

(sorry) please?

Riikka Kovasin said...

Ha - I actually thought about a hat or a head piece first :D

Riikka Kovasin said...

Just have a go! If you find the tea cups from a drift store they don't cost much and then you can just fun and let loose with them :) I hope you'll dare to try!

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you so much for the sweet comment! I thought about doing a hat first so maybe that's why the cups started to resemble a hat :D

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you :")

Riikka Kovasin said...

I used Finnabair Art Basics Black Gesso :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...