10/05/2014

Inspired by... La Marais Paris


It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! But what is Inspired by? Every month awesome Marsha and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link)an item (link)a designer (link), a painting (link) or a music style (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month.


Perhaps you remember Marsha and me visiting Paris in the beginning of last month? In Version Scrap? Well, I guess you might have guessed then already what the topic of this Inspired By would be. As it would have been silly to not use such an inspiring city and trip! But we did this one with a slight twist - to be inspired by a certain city area we visited on our last day there, La Marais. And to give as a little extra challenge I bought two similar sets of embellishments to be used in this one. 

And oh boy, I didn't go easy on us with the kit! Just look! Neon pink and yellow together with subtle pastels! Pop art and romantic thingies in same package! When I got home and started thinking what to do I really was puzzled about the embellishments - what was I thinking?! But after a thought it all started to fit into the plan...


Quite early on I decided to do a piece of jewelry with a touch of mixed media in it. The reason is that in La Marais we visited a lovely little jewelry shop and also did some window shopping in many others. We also stumbled across a lovely little gallery with magnificent works by some mixed media artists (well, not all of them but quite a few anyway). I was also inspired by the artsy / high-end mix of the area.

So I started thinking what to do. First I thought to make myself a pair of earrings but by looking the amount of embellishments there it soon became obvious that either I would have to edit the amount of things or make huge earrings and I mean huge! So back to the drawing board.Then I started thinking about a necklace style thing or a pendant but as I rarely use bulky necklaces and the sheer amount of items again hindering the pendant idea, I then chose to go with a bracelet. It allowed me to add a lot and still looked nice. 


I guess my choice of colors doesn't come as a surprise. It hasn't got anything to do with La Marais, only something to do with me. I thought that the piece might end up being used more if it was my favorite color combo - turquoise and lime green. I painted the embellishments that didn't suit the scheme and then started creating additional ones.

In that little jewelry shop we visited I fell in love with a pair of butterfly earrings and really thought about getting them. So butterflies just had to be in there! I made those with transparency. I also needed a way to include the roses to the piece and wanted to make some kind of mixed media pieces, too. Then I remembered having a jar of resin in my stash. I had been experimenting with it some time ago and then forgot about it totally. But it was just perfect for this!


After rummaging through my bin as I just had thrown away a perfect mold for the pieces (Prima's embellishment plastic pack) and reading the instructions I was ready to go! I mixed the resin, poured some of it to the mold and then added the roses in. Then I grabbed some Tattered Angels paints and added flicks of them to the resin. After that I poured a little more resin to the mold and then became the hardest part - waiting.   

After 24 hours the pieces were completely dry and I could work with them. My first idea was to add the mold to the piece as I thought the resin would have been stuck there, but to my great surprise and joy the "beads" just popped right off the mold and I was left with nice mixed media style pieces of my own! To finish the piece I just added two rounds of chain to the silvery "Love" part and then added the dangling pieces using jump rings.

So here's what I created using the kit and La Marais - now off to Marsha's blog to see what she has done! Can't wait to find out!


Materials: Tattered Angels, Pebeo, Ranger, Copic, Talens


3 comments:

Jaya Raghuvanshi said...

Such a beautiful bracelet Riikka! love your choice of colours!

Riikka Kovasin said...

They are my "go to" colors XD Thank you for the sweet comment! :)

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you misty! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...