12/06/2020

Alphabetical Spelling List - Art Daily Cafe


Hello there and pleasant Friday! Today I'm sharing my contribution to this month's Art Daily Cafe theme. You can find the theme post here (link).

Some years back I had the privilege to attend a few workshops by the inspirational Louise Nelson (link). One of the topics she covered were these fabulous little portraits, a hand and eye exercise. I liked the technique very much but haven’t tragically really used it since. This theme seemed perfect to make some sketches again! 

I was first thinking of using collage as my way to add the portraits to the spread. But when I had the idea of doing the faces myself, I only ended up using collage to add a background to them. I drew the faces using a Posca marker while watching TV on a A4 paper and then cut the images loose to be used on top of the other layers. It was fun to realize that even during drawing these few portraits, I started getting better at it.


I continued the Louise theme another way in the page, too. I used several stamps in the spread to add texture and pattern. Some of the stamps are bought, but I also used some stamps I made during the workshops. Using the stamps was an easy way to keep to the color scheme and add a bit more black to the project.


I wanted to keep the page quite monochrome and used a lot of white and black in it. But I did mix in some old bookpaper tones, too. I used bookpaper in the other side of the spread but I mainly added the title and “nicknames” using it. I cut out different words from the spelling list and adhered one next to each drawing, kind of naming each. 

I started the background as a one piece and then cut it in two later, adhering pieces to opposite pages in the spread. It’s the same trick as with this spread I did earlier, in case you want to see (link)

Thank you for stopping by today! Have a great, artsy weekend! Stay safe everyone!


Materials: Prima Marketing, Posca, Ranger, Tape Garden


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...