08/11/2018

Lyrebird - mixed media piece on felt


Heippa! How are you doing? I'm sharing today and tomorrow a couple of special pieces which were created for creative friends. I attended some fabulous workshops in Egersund, Norway last month. The teacher was none other than Louise Nelson and I loved every minute of the workshops! I wrote some words of the workshops here (link) in a post I'm showing one of the layouts I did during that weekend. 

I have a habit of taking something hand made to the teacher, especially if I meet her or him for the first time. You might remember the crow piece I did some time ago for an Inspired By post (link)? In the comments Marsha encouraged me to do more and I felt like experimenting with the topic a bit more, too. So I wrote to two ladies and asked their favorite birds. The first lady was naturally Louise. She named a lyrebird (link) as her favorite which then lead me to google the bird. What I quickly realized was an issue - I had thought of doing the head of the bird but as the name suggests, the lyrebirds character is the "lyre" - the beautiful ornate tail feathers.


So instead of doing just the head of the bird, I included the tail as well. Or like half of it. I started with clear gesso on felt, then added some acrylic paints, watercolors and Pan Pastels. There's also some stamping in the piece, like in the crow. This I did using my one of my favorite stamps, a script one from 7 Dots Studio. I also drew some details in with Posca paint markers and Copic markers. Last but not least came the embroidery and stitched details. Funnily enough, I really like doing these bird pieces even though I don't like embroidery at all! I added some pieces of tulle to the piece while doing the stitches.

Please come back tomorrow to see the other bird and who it was for! Thank you for stopping by! 


Materials: Pan Pastel, Prima Marketing, Posca, Copic, Ranger, Sinelli



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...