10/12/2015

Inspired By... Festive Food



It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! But what is Inspired by? Every month awesome Marsha and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link)an item (link)a designer (link), a painting (link) or a piece of music (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month.


This time we chose to go with food as we have used all the other senses but taste. To narrow the amount of possible inspiration a little we added "festive" in the beginning. We didn't want it to be straight forward just Christmas food, but instead give a chance to go with other holidays and festive occasions as well.

The closing Christmas affected my choice of food. When December starts and Christmas starts to be seen more and more in the grocery store, I'm always in hunt for two things - rutabaga casserole (or "lanttulaatikko") and "Christmas tarts" (aka joulutorttu). Even though the casserole is really tasty and full of flavors it doesn't look much. I mean, it's just a yellowish orange mash. Not the most inspiring sight. So I quite fast new that I would go with the joulutorttus and more than anything use the shape of the tarts, not so much the taste.


As you can see from the picture above, the traditional shape of this Christmas delicacy is star(ish). Maybe it's more like a pinwheel. But any Finn will recognize the shape. So I went scouting if I could find something like it. And what do you know, I found this origami shape (link). So a cunning plan developed - doing a whole bunch of paper joulutorttus. By the time I got the size right to fit my canvas base I was ever so happy that I decided to go with a 6x6" canvas and not a bigger one! That was quite some cutting and folding!

When I had the background done the project came to a stop for a moment. I really liked the surface I had created with the origami but felt it was a bit plain as such but didn't quite know how to continue. Then I went back to the original source - food and taste. So it became obvious that of course I should add a spoon in the mix and then the whole thing unraveled and became clear.


So I added the spoon to my piece together with some blooms and metal details. I wanted to keep the color scheme of the project Christmas-like as well and chose to use dark red blooms and golden details. The old spoon acts as the focal point and center piece but there's also many other details in there. Underneath you can see the whole project.


Oh, before you head over to Marsha's (link) and see her take on the subject, I still have to mention why the canvas is like a diamond and not a square. It's all because of the first source of inspiration, the joulutorttus! Firstly the shape itself seem to be standing on a corner rather than on its side, at least I've always preferred to see the shape as such. Secondly, the background looked so much better in an angle than straight on. Just because then the individual origamis are placed more on their corner than on their side!

But now, let's head over to Marsha's and see what she has conjured up! Thank you for stopping by today!


Materials: Prima Marketing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...