10/10/2015

Inspired by... Inlays



It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! But what is Inspired by? Every month awesome Marsha and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link)an item (link)a designer (link), a painting (link) or a piece of music (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month.


This month we are trendy! Or even futuristic, actually! "How?" you may ask. Well, this time we chose the inspiration from trend watch from Pattern bank blog. There's several moodboards and predictions to get your inspiration soaring but we chose to go with the inlays this time. The predictions are for next autumn/winter season, so for 2016/17. It will be fun to see how correct they are!

AW1617PT2-21

The board has many great pictures and sources for inspiration but what intrigued me the most was the bottom right one with black, gold and gray. Well, the colors were nice, too, but what I really liked has the haphazard shapes. There's something mesmerizing in the pattern play there. They are like bubbles with angels or patches of fields. To see if Marsha went with same source check this link (link)!


Now that I had my mind set on the picture all I needed to do is to think what to use it for. I thought to use patterned papers and create something similar but what to do. As the whole thing was a bit experimental I opened my art journal and went with that. I can occasionally experiment with layouts, too, but when I don't have a clear idea in my head I often choose another medium - ATCs or art journal.

The first thing I did was to take a piece of scrap paper (aka an advertisement) and cut it roughly to the measurements of the page. Then I started to cut the paper to pieces. As it had words and images on it I didn't have to number the pieces or anything because I figured out I could put the puzzle back together using those pictures as guides. When I then had all my pieces ready I started adhering those to pieces of patterned papers "wrong side up". Then all I had to do was to cut the pieces loose, make the puzzle the wrong way up first and then adhere it to my journal the right side up.


I then had a great start done but was thinking what to write and how to continue. Luckily my favorite band came to the rescue again as the song "Piece by piece" started playing in my head when I stared all the pieces clued to the spread. 

First I added some stamping and gesso, then inks and stamped the title to the center of the spread. I also added a few inspirational "open every door" quotes to the corners but they seemed just floating in there so I lastly added some scribbling on top.


Above is my finished spread. Even though my idea for the title came from music the "open every door" mixed with the original wording and the idea behind the page became of "baby steps". Little by little all goals can be achieved. 

I used as the base a spread I started during the Nathalie / Birgit workshops in the summer. I think I was just cleaning off my Gelliplate when I happened to have a great print with turqoise, minty green and little pops of golden brown and lilac. As the page was so pretty in my opinion, I have been saving it for something special. This seemed to be the perfect time to use it! Thus came my color scheme of turquoises and greens.


Thank you for your visit today!


Materials: 7 Dots Studio, Lawn Fawn, Ranger, Prima Marketing, Sharpie, Talens

2 comments:

Marsha Valk said...

Oooh! I love it! It's soft and gritty at the same time! And I thought you wrote something Dutch on it... But that was the Open every door ;-). Wow, this was an unexpectedly good theme!!!

Deena said...

I love how this all came together and that colour palette is beautiful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...