27/08/2015

Iconic Warlord - Mixed Media Place

Happy Thursday! Today I'm sharing you a piece that I made for Mixed Media Place. It's a canvas and this time instead of a girly face I drew a man. That's my second ever so don't be too harsh!

I’m a metal head so to say. While I can listen to many music genres, I really prefer heavy metal above all of those. And one of the great loves I have amongst the genre is Turisas, a Finnish ‘viking metal’ band though they themselves prefer not to be called that. 

About a year ago I shared a canvas called “Heart of Turisas” in Mixed Media Place and now it’s time for (yet) another Turisas themed creation. This time I was inspired by the new gig set up the band has – a giant banner with the band members stylized in icon-like way. I’ve been looking the banner design some time now and decided to make my own take using that and the singer of the band as my inspiration. 

I started by sketching the face lightly and then added the colors in using acrylics and black gesso. I painted most of the cape red and the face with different flesh tones and the hair with brown and then treated the whole background black with gesso. Next I started adding the bibs and bobs to the canvas. I tried to keep it manly and thus not adding any flowers and also tried to add music related things in the mix. There’s a pick, a piece of a speaker, some guitar strings and a headphone in there. I added the pieces to the canvas using 3D Gloss Gel. After letting the medium dry, I then painted everything first black and then started bringing the colors again in. This time I used acrylics mixed with Mica powder, mists and lastly PanPastels. The face of the character is drawn using PITT pens and a pencil.


My great intention is to give this to the band if they want it, but let see how it goes. Until now the warlord has been staring me from a shelf above the TV. Maybe it’s good to have him there watching over us, guarding like an iconic being should?

Thank you for stopping by today! Wishing you a great day!


Products from Mixed Media Place: 

  
  
 
  


Materials: Prima Marketing, Design Memory Craft, Pan Pastel, Talens, Wow Embossing Powder, Ranger


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...