19/04/2015

Phone case my way - Mixed Media Place


Today it's Election Day here in Finland so I guess blue shades are just the right thing as the white-blue flags are fluttering in the wind. This blueish project is done for Mixed Media Place and their new challenge with the theme "power of one". Funnily all in the DT taking part to the challenge chose to go with similar color scheme in blueish shades.

The rules of the challenge are simple: use 1 stencil and 1 stamp and then pick 1 color. You can use any paint media in that color but just that one color. Luckily you can also use black and white  so you have three colors to use!

This challenge is conjured by Gayle. She says: "When restricted to using a limited range of materials you have to explore other ways of adding interest to your work. So what could you do? You can use varying SHADES of the one colour you choose, going from dark to light. You can add PATTERN by way of the stamp you choose, patterned papers, chipboard and the stencil you choose. You can also add detail withTEXTURE by way of pastes and gels, fibres, beads and embellishments.Once you start you will find you are not really that restricted, and many creative ideas will become evident."


My project for the challenge is altered phone case. I’ve been craving for a mixed media styled phone case for some time. So what better to do than to make one myself! So I bought a cheap case and then primed it with gesso. My first idea was to have something 3D in there, but then I came to my senses and realized that the important part of the phone is to be functional as well. So I didn’t use Mechanicals and gel medium, but instead made layers with different paint mediums. 

First I added some mists on top of the gesso and dried them. Then I used a stencil with acrylic paint and Stamper’s Big Brush Pens. I also added some pencil doodles in there and lastly shaded the edges using a PITT pen.

As the challenge states, I chose one color (turquoise) and then used one stencil and stamp also. After doing all the layers I lastly coated the case with a coat of Soft Gel to seal everything in.

Thank you for stopping by today! Have a great start to the new week! 


Materials from Mixed Media Place:

   
   
 


3 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

This is so cool - great inspiration for the Creative Gym!
Alison x

Words and Pictures said...

This is so cool - great inspiration for the Creative Gym!
Alison x

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you :")

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...