10/04/2013

Inspired by: Les Miserables



It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! Every month wonderful Marsha and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link), a painting (link) or a music style (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month. It used to be the 1st, but due to various DT commitments we both have, we moved the reveal to the 10th.

This time we had a theme chosen already, but changed it along the way because we both were enthusiastic about the new Les Miserables movie. I liked parts of the movie, but unfortunately the singers lacked the wow factor for me. But visually it was awesome! I loved the little things in the set design, for example. Like the "all seeing eye" in the Jean Valjean's pray scene. But what inspired me to this creation was actually three things - first of all the massive wall of different things, the barricade, at the end of the movie. Like clustering different stuff together. Grabbing stools, bed wear and what ever to set up the barricade. 

The second thing was the companionship, the friendship in the movie. That's why I wanted to use a photo of Marsha - I really, truly appreciate that she takes the time to play with me and chat and share things. Thank you so much, my friend! 

The third inspiration came (quite obviously) from Finnabair and her workshop in Stockholm which I was fortunate enough to participate. At her workshop I was timid and didn't "dress" my canvas like she does at her own work. So I wanted to try that. The end result is Marsha with a huge hat and really heavy jewellery, but I quite like it. Can you spot a little tea pot, a lamp and a cross from the canvas? Talking about that cross, I just had to add it to the mix, because the religion takes a huge part in the movie. 

The movie is also visible in the colours. I first thought I would some how do a tricolour with red, white and blue, but I felt that might be too busy. There's also a song about red and black in the movie, but somehow I didn't see fire engine red in this canvas. So I went with the blue and the black - something from both colour choices. 

I don't share details about the process here so I don't give away Finnabair's teachings. But I did few changes to her order to do things, although the end result is somewhat similar. I loved doing this experiment! 

Now click here and go see what Marsha has created! Can't wait to discover how she was inspired!


Materials: Talens (Tempera), Tattered Angels, Prima Marketing, YouDo, Marianne Design, Ranger, Wycinanka

10 comments:

Birgit said...

LOVE this Riikka!!

Lintsi said...

Eipä tähän voi muuta sanoa kuin että WOW! :)

sandi said...

This is over the top cool! LOVE it!!!!!!!!

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you Birgit <3

Riikka Kovasin said...

Kiitos :")

Sandra said...

Wow. Great job!

enkulin käsityöt said...

Huikea taideteos. IHANA

Tone-Lill said...

Oh my gosh! This is sooooo super cool....love all the little details and blings, brilliantly made :)

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you Sandra!

Riikka Kovasin said...

Kiitos :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...